Post-Session tour in Italy organized by CREA
In Italy, fast growing tree plantations are the most important renewable source of wood raw material, suitable to respond to the needs of industry over the relatively short term. Poplar cultivation, spread over about 50.000 hectares in the Po Valley, is well integrated into the production systems of farm enterprises, allowing for intercropping and rotation with agricultural crops and optimum use of the various production factors.
The demand of poplar roundwood by Italian industry are mainly associated with the panel sector, particularly plywood, even if other relevant uses concern packages, paper pulp and sawn timber sectors.
Despite the prevalence of I-214 poplar clone, new clones with improved environmental sustainability – so-called MSA clones – are under consideration of the poplar growers, more interested towards environmentally more sustainable cultivation models in combination with the forest certification (FSC and PEFC).
During the field tour in Northeast Italy we plan to show you the best examples of traditional poplar plantations compared to alternative cultivation models such as agroforestry and polycyclic plantations and we will be able to visit some important environmental sites (Valle Vecchia and Tagliamento River) as examples of environmental requalification and biodiversity conservation. On our way, we will visit also important poplar wood utilization industries as Sicem Saga (paper pulp), Panguaneta (plywood) and Fantoni (chipboard and MDF panels). The Post field tour will end with a Round table on the effects of climate change on the wood availability”.
Friday 9 October 2020 – ‘Arrival and visit to a paper mill’
- 17.00 Direct train from Roma Termini to Reggio Emilia AV Mediopadana
- 20.00 Transfer by bus to Ciano d’Enza (RE) and visit the Sicem Saga paper mill
- 22.00 Dinner and overnight stay on site
Saturday 10 October 2020 – ‘Plywood factories and poplar plantations’
- 7.45 – 8.30 Transfer by bus to Sabbioneta (MN)
- 8.30 – 11.00 Presentation and visit to the Panguaneta plywood factory
- 11.00 – 13.45 Transfer by bus to San Matteo delle Chiaviche (MN) and lunch
- 14.00 – 17.30 Presentations and visits to poplar farms with traditional and certified plantations and polycyclic plantations near the confluence of the Oglio and Po rivers.
- 17.30 – 18.30 Transfer by bus to Mantova with stop at the Hotel
- 18.30 – 22.30 Visit to the city of Mantova, dinner and overnight at the hotel.
Sunday 11 October 2020 – ‘Agroforestry, land and water’
- 8.00 – 09.30 Transfer by bus to Casaria farm in Masi (PD).
- 9.30 – 12.30 Presentation of the agroforestry system, visit and light lunch in Casaria farm
- 12.30 – 14.45 Transfer by bus to Valle Vecchia near Caorle (VE)
- 15.00 – 18.30 Visit the Vallevecchia pilot farm, managed by Veneto Agricoltura with presentations of the Nature 2000 site and the reforestation and water management projects
- 18.45 – 21.30 Dinner in a local restaurant near Vallevecchia Farm
- 21.30 – 22.00 Transfer and accommodation near Portogruaro.
Monday 12 October 2020 – ‘Climate change, conservation of genetic resources and wood supply’
- 7.30 – 9.00 Transfer by bus to Osoppo (UD)
- 9.00 – 10.00 Presentation and visit to the Fantoni company and wood panel production lines
- 10.00 – 12.45 Final meeting with “Round table on the effects of climate change on the wood availability” (organized by MiPAAF Rete Rurale Nazionale – Italian Network for Rural Development Program)
10.00 – 12.45 Visit to the Nature 2000 site along the Tagliamento River, a Site of Community Importance (SCI) selected to ensure the long-term survival of most valuable and threatened species as Populus nigra.
- 13.00 – 14.30 Light lunch and transfer by bus to Torviscosa (UD)
- 14.30 – 16.00 Presentation of Torviscosa context with visits to poplar plantations
- 16.00 –18.00 Transfer by bus to Venice Airport and Venezia -Mestre railway station
Possibility of visit Venice; dinner and overnight stay not included
Cost of the tour: euro 420,00
If you have already registered please login using your credentials, flag the tour booking field and follow the guided procedures for payment and invoicing
If you have note registered yet, click on”book now” to both register and book the tour.